As the tour progressed, more Year Zero songs were added to the setlists. Due to the expiration of his contract with Interscope Records, the album's release, marketing, and promotion were completely in Reznor's control. in a later interview, "When I was on the Live: With Teeth tour, to keep myself busy I just really hunkered down and was working on music the whole time, so this kept me in a creative mode and when I finished the tour I felt like I wasn't tired and wanted to keep at it. In February 2007 fans discovered that a new Nine Inch Nails tour t-shirt contained highlighted letters that spelled out the words "I am trying to believe". Many of the songs on the album feature an extended instrumental ending, which encompasses the entire second half of the three-minute long "The Great Destroyer". Each new piece of media contained various hints and clues to discover the next, relying on fan participation to discover each new facet of the expanding game. "[4], The limitations of devising the album's musical direction on a tour bus forced Reznor to work differently from usual. [57] Reznor went on to encourage the crowd to "steal and steal and steal some more and give it to all your friends and keep on stealin'. Last edited on 11 November 2020, at 04:45, yearzero.nin.com (archived at Portrait of Decay), https://www.nin.wiki/index.php?title=Year_Zero&oldid=56818. The album marks a new style of lyric writing for Reznor: "...for the first time in my life, I wanted to break away from the idea of opening up my journal and transferring that into song lyrics. Although the album was released on April 16, 2007 in Europe, and the following day worldwide, [2] the game had been underway since roughly February 12, 2007 and was expected to continue for approximately eighteen months. Nine Inch Nails (ook wel afgekort als NIИ) is een industrial rockband uit Cleveland in de Verenigde Staten, opgericht in 1988.. De oprichter, Trent Reznor, is voorman en creatief brein achter de muziek en de uitgebrachte albums.Hij werkt in de studio dikwijls alleen; bij live-optredens wordt hij vergezeld door een complete band die regelmatig van samenstelling wijzigt. Year Zero received positive reviews from critics, who complimented its concept and production, as well as the accompanying alternate reality game. ", "Nine Inch Nails Mainman On New CD: 'I Wrote The Soundtrack To A Movie That Doesn't Exist, "Frustration and Fury: Take It. The concert was cut short as the meeting was raided by a fictional SWAT team and the audience was rushed out of the building. [45][46], Upon its release in April 2007, Year Zero sold over 187,000 copies in its first week. The websites-from-the-future were sent to the year 2007 to warn the American people of the impending dystopian future and to prevent it from ever forming in the first place. Ableton, Activision, Analogue Haven, Big City Music, DigiDesign, Guitar Center Hollywood, Izotope, Soundtoys, Line 5, Ohm Force, Metasonix, Native Instruments, The NIN Hotline, Nintendo of America, Rock-It Cargo, Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc. Special thanks to Jimmy Iovine and everyone at Interscope. Engineering: Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Alan Moulder, Brett Bachemin, Doug Trantow, Alan Mason, Mixed at Chalice Studios (Los Angeles, CA), Mastering: Brian Gardener at Bernie Grundman Mastering (Hollywood, CA), World building: Trent Reznor, Rob Sheridan, World integration and enhancement: 42, Alex Lieu, Jordan Weisman, Sean Stewart, Elan Lee, Johnny Rodriguez, Susan Bonds, Art direction: Rob Sheridan, Trent Reznor, "The Presence," "The Great Divide," "The Scorched Earth" by Hydraulx, "The Hand Of Faith," "The Hand Of Desperation" by Rob Sheridan, Business management: Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman, ©2007 Leaving Hope Music/TVT Music, Inc. (ASCAP). Nine Inch Nails Alben entfalten ihr Potential immer erst nach mehrmaligem Hören. [84][85], "The Good Soldier (song)" redirects here. The production for this tour was scaled back and setlists became very fluid as a result. It's really painfully obvious what people want – DRM-free music they can do what they want with. Nevertheless, Reznor commented in 2008 that the project is "still churning along",[67] and that he had begun working with American film producer Lawrence Bender. A glossary of terms related to the world of Year Zero can be found here. Official multitrack files for the Nine Inch Nails album "Year Zero" released by … Dunno, but Reznor's claim that 'I got my violence in high def ultra-realism' sounds like gospel to us. title notes format cat number yr ctr sc; year zero: Australian edition. This album completes my collection of all the Nine Inch Nails studio albums on vinyl: Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, With Teeth, Year Zero, The Slip, Ghosts I-IV and Hesitation Marks. The world has reached the breaking point – politically, spiritually and ecologically. Things are not good. Thank you for the extra effort: Eric Fermin, Larry Tull, The man holding the bible and the gun on the two interior panels is the prop man who provided the guns for the "Survivalism" video. [32], The Year Zero game consisted of an expansive series of websites, phone numbers, e-mails, videos, MP3s, murals, and other media that expanded upon the fictional storyline of the album. Shortly after the stream was made available, high-quality leaks found their way to various sites and P2P networks. That sound led to a daydream about the end of the world. It's not some kind of gimmick to get you to buy a record - it IS the art form... and we're just getting started. The album features a thermo-chrome heat-sensitive CD face which appears black when first opened, but reveals a black binary code on a white background when heat is generated from the album being played.      A4  "The Good Soldier" - 3:23 The game ran from roughly February 12, 2007 to May 2007, beginning when a string of mysterious websites was discovered around the internet related to the album; the game has since been nominated for two Webby Awards[4]. A lot of it was improvised. In March 2007, the multitrack audio files of the first single, "Survivalism," were released in Garageband format on the official Year Zero website for fan remixing. The album was promoted by two singles: "Survivalism" and "Capital G". Ann Powers of the Los Angeles Times, praised the album and game concept as "a total marriage of the pop and gamer aesthetics that unlocks the rusty cages of the music industry and solves some key problems facing rock music as its cultural dominance dissolves into dust. Nine Inch Nails Year Zero Label: Interscope US Release Date: 2007-04-17 UK Release Date: 2007-04-16 Amazon iTunes. It was revealed by Rob Sheridan in a 2019 episode of the Pod Like A Hole NIN podcast that he and Reznor had at one point considered making a comic book based on Year Zero. [8] The album's budget was a reported US$2 million, but since Reznor composed most of the album himself on his laptop and in his home-studio, much of the budget instead went toward the extensive accompanying promotional campaign. [9], The album's music features the styles of industrial rock,[10] electro-industrial,[11] electronic,[12] and digital hardcore. Sixteen tracks. This phrase was registered as a website URL, and soon several related websites were also discovered in the IP range, all describing a dystopian vision of the fictional "Year 0". [3] Reznor told Kerrang! In a 2005 interview with Kerrang!, Trent Reznor expressed his intentions to write material for a new release while on tour promoting With Teeth. I should have just done it [myself]. During a concert in Lisbon, Portugal, a USB flash drive was found in a bathroom stall containing a high-quality MP3 of the track "My Violent Heart", a song from the then-unreleased album. Nine Inch Nails: Year Zero multitracks by Nine Inch Nails. Listen to Year Zero by Nine Inch Nails on Apple Music. [81], Several reviewers also commented on the accompanying alternate reality game. ABONNEE EN WIL JE VERDER LEZEN? ... And while he took eons deciding whether he wanted to be the next "voice of a generation," a fickle pop zeitgeist passed Nine Inch Nails by. From there, fictional events lead to worldwide chaos, including bioterrorism attacks, the United States engaging in nuclear war with Iran, and the elimination of American civil liberties at the hands of the fictional government agency The Bureau of Morality. The tour included the band's first performance in China. On the seventh track of industrial rock pioneers Nine Inch Nails’ album Year Zero, there’s a despondent yet dance-y track called 'Capital G', which opens with the lyrics, “I pushed a button and elected him to office and a/He pushed a button and it dropped a bomb.”. [25][26] The binary sequence translates to "exterminal.net", the address of a website involved in the alternate reality game. He reportedly began work on the new album by September 2006. Year Zero is a heavy concept album, and it could be argued that many NIN albums are, but this one in particular culminates in such a way that you will already be drawn in before you realize what is going on. The medium of the CD is outdated and irrelevant. [40], After taking a break from touring to complete work on Year Zero, the Nine Inch Nails live band embarked on a world tour in 2007 dubbed Performance 2007. Reznor paid for the ARG himself, trying to keep it a secret from his record company as much as possible[3], stating: "What you are now starting to experience IS 'year zero'. But now I'm thinking I should have. Perhaps to counteract and discourage any piracy of the leak, the entire album was made available for free streaming on the album's official website later that afternoon. CD: B0008764-02: 2007: year zero: Chinese unauthorized item. [80] Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone called the album Reznor's "strongest, weirdest and most complex record since The Downward Spiral", and concluded that "he's got his bravado back. In 2007, things for Nine Inch Nails fans were getting weird: songs were found on flash drives in venue bathrooms, burner phones were being handed out from the backs of vans that led to anti-establishment rallies, a secret show and a mock-police raid. Dass Trent etwas politisch geworden ist, finde ich in sofern nicht schlimm, da er wie immer auf keine reale Situation eingeht, sondern eine fiktive Welt schafft, die stark an unsere erinnert. A1  "HYPERPOWER!" Year Zero (also known as Halo 24 or Year Zero: Zero-Gen-Ten in Japan) is the sixth studio album by Nine Inch Nails, released on April 13, 2007 in the UK and Europe, and April 17, 2007 worldwide, by Interscope Records.      B2  "My Violent Heart" - 4:13 Nine Inch Nails' sixth studio release, Year Zero takes the concept album further than it may have ever gone before. "[22], Even though the fictional story begins in January 2007, the timeline of the album and alternate reality game mentions historical events, such as the September 11 attacks and the Iraq War. On June 24, 2011, Pitchfork Magazine had a section of news stating that Jim Uhls, the man who had written the screenplay for Fight Club and the screenplay for the 2008 film Jumper, was chosen to write the script for the series. [8]. [71] Robert Christgau described Year Zero as Reznor's "most songful album",[76] while Thomas Inskeep of Stylus magazine praised it as "one of the most forward-thinking 'rock' albums to come down the pike in some time". [62][63] Reznor himself strongly supports fan-made remixes of songs from the album, as evidenced by his decision to upload every song in multi-track form to the then-newly launched Nine Inch Nails remix website.      A6  "Me, I'm Not" - 4:51, B1  "Capital G" - 3:50 Written from various perspectives of people in this world. You can fuck to a lot of it (maybe all of it depending on what you're into)."[5]. It was produced by Trent Reznor in collaboration with Alan Moulder and engineer Atticus Ross, both of whom worked in a similar capacity on Nine Inch Nails' previous major studio release, With Teeth. This project means a lot to me and will see the light of day in one form or another.". Nine Inch Nails' 2007 release Year Zero will undoubtedly go down in rock history for the way the recording was marketed before its release. Things are not good. The tour spanned 91 dates across Europe, Asia, Australia, and Hawaii. All songs from Year Zero have been played live except "My Violent Heart" and "Zero-Sum". In advance of its release, URLs were hidden in tour t-shirts, music- and image-filled USB drives were 'found' at concerts, and dozens of websites have been packed with conspiracy stories that all involve the year 2022 or 'Year Zero.' [13] Reznor called Year Zero a "shift in direction" in that it "doesn't sound like With Teeth ". Ten Years On: Nine Inch Nails’ Year Zero. But not having the ability to do that forced me into trying some things that were fun to do. It also stated: "Amid its carefully calibrated sonic assaults, Year Zero has a number of tracks that will stop you in yours. The video shoot and the photos were done on the same day. NIN Year Zero. The site was eventually taken down and they can now be found on archive.org.[1]. If I were in my studio, I would have done things the way I normally do them. "[5], By the end of the tour, Reznor began work on the album's lyrical concepts, attempting to break away from his typically introspective approach.      C4  "In This Twilight" - 3:33 [11], On January 11, 2012 a user on Echoingthesound said that Jim Uhls confirmed him via Facebook that he was working on the Year Zero TV series ("I've been away from FB for awhile. [6] Reznor had previously called the results of the 2004 US election "one step closer to the end of the world. The article went on to describe individual tracks: "And as usual the music is packed with details: "Meet Your Master" goes through at least three cycles of decay and rebirth; part of the fun of "The Warning" is tracking the ever-mutating timbres."[21]. BEN JE NOG GEEN LID? All written and performed by me, produced / programmed by me and Atticus Ross, mixed by Alan Moulder, mastered by Brian "Big Bass" Gardner. [2] Reznor devised much of the album's musical direction on his laptop. [34] Messages found on the drives and tour clothing led to additional websites and images from the game, and the early release of several unheard songs from the album. Year Zero‘s strange life started in February, when a fan noticed that his NIN concert shirt had the words I AM TRYING TO BELIEVE encoded on the back. The world has reached the breaking point - politically, spiritually and ecologically. This leads to the website. With a framework established, the songs were very easy to write. For the Flobots song, see. [61] The album features remixes from artists including The Faint, Ladytron, Bill Laswell, Saul Williams, Olof Dreijer of The Knife, and Sam Fogarino of Interpol. That daydream stuck with me and over time revealed itself to be much more...it takes place about fifteen years in the future. [Year Zero] is not a particularly friendly record and it certainly doesn't sound like anything else out there right now. [52][53] The second single, "Capital G", reached number six on the Modern Rock chart. [2]. [65] Reznor met with various writers and pitched the idea to television networks. I believe sometimes you have a choice in what inspiration you choose to follow and other times you really don't. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero review: Trent Reznor makes an easily digestible album with hooks galore, heart, and loads of what we have come to expect from NIN. Reznor announced in October 2007 that Nine Inch Nails had fulfilled its contractual commitments to Interscope and could proceed "free of any recording contract with any label", effectively ending the band's relationship with its record label.[60]. Release date: April 17, 2007. You can dance to a lot of it. Reznor's own involvement with the leak, however, will always be speculation at best due to his own legal liability. Conceived while touring in support of the band's previous album, With Teeth (2005), the album was recorded in late 2006. In August of 2013, it was stated in an article by the NME that HBO had rejected the series. Somebody's got to do it, right? [18][19][20] Many critics also commented on the album's overall tone, including descriptions such as "lots of silver and grey ambience [sic]" and reference to the album's "oblique tone". An alternate reality game was constructed by Trent Reznor and Rob Sheridan, then run in partnership with and developed by 42 Entertainment to provide listeners with a greater understanding of the album's concept. The "recent revelations" he referred to was the, CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (, Recording Industry Association of America, "Weird Web Trail: Conspiracy Theory — Or Marketing For Nine Inch Nails LP? Learn more at the Year Zero Research page and view the timeline of discovery for an explanation of how things unfolded, also, 42 Entertainment has a complete overview of the project here. [47] The album reached number two on the Billboard 200[48] and peaked in the top 10 in six other countries, including Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom. [18][20] The New York Times review described the album's sound by saying "Hard beats are softened with distortion, static cushions the tantrums, sneaky bass lines float beneath the surface." The album was supported by a tour that visited Europe, Asia and Australia, with an emphasis on locations never or seldom played by NIN. 'Year Zero' erinnert mich vom Noise-Level an Quake-1-Soundtrack-Zeiten. Concept record. De Amerikaanse band Nine Inch Nails zette een groot mysterie op touw om sympathisanten te werven voor een verzetsbeweging. Radio reported that "Reznor admitted he's already in talks about a movie version of his upcoming album, a concept piece, with part two scheduled next year." You can think about it and it will reveal more than you were expecting. "[69] In 2017, during an interview promoting new Nine Inch Nails EP Add Violence, Reznor said that "They got so far as hiring a writer for it, but then it fell to shit because we never had the right writer. Thank you very much: Tiffany Andrews, Thavius Beck, Jeremy Berman, Brandi Booth, Steve "Coco" Brandon, Gus Brandt, Andrew "Hans" Buscher, Brad Child, Trevor Cole, Willie Cole, Alessandro Cortini, Jerome Crooks, CX Kidtronik, Zack de la Rocha, Robert Dorian, Vanessa Freebairn-Smith, Josh Freese, Valerie Geller, Andrew Grad, Jeff Greenberg, Josh Homme, Alissa Juarez, Pete Keppier, Darren Kroupa, Ana Lenchantin, Tamar Levine, Marie Lewis, Chandra Lynn, Jackie McPherson, Jessyca Estrada Meyer, Dustin Mosley, Pablo Motta, Jamie Myers, April Napier, Sara Newkirk, Aaron North, Valerie Pilinski, Nyke Prince, Michael Prowda, Stephen Rehage, Martin St. Pierre, Claudia Sarne, Chris Schleyer, The Solutions Backwards Initiative, Mark Stephen, Michael Sullivan, Todd Tiedemann, John Van Eaton, Jeordie White, Saul Williams, Irit Zarutsky      A2  "The Beginning Of The End" - 2:47 Publication date 2007-04-17 Topics nin, nine inch nails, multitracks, multi-tracks Collection opensource_media Language English. It will sound different after a few listens. A (Halo 24 néven is ismert) Year Zero egy Nine Inch Nails stúdióalbum, amely Európában 2007.április 16-án, az Egyesült Államokban másnap, Japánban pedig 2007. április 25-én jelent meg. 16. hét", "Italiancharts.com – Nine Inch Nails – Year Zero", "Charts.nz – Nine Inch Nails – Year Zero", "Norwegiancharts.com – Nine Inch Nails – Year Zero", "Portuguesecharts.com – Nine Inch Nails – Year Zero", 22, 2007/40/ "Official Scottish Albums Chart Top 100", "Spanishcharts.com – Nine Inch Nails – Year Zero", "Swedishcharts.com – Nine Inch Nails – Year Zero", "Swisscharts.com – Nine Inch Nails – Year Zero", "Nine Inch Nails | Artist | Official Charts", "Official Rock & Metal Albums Chart Top 40", "Nine Inch Nails Chart History (Top Rock Albums)", Lights in the Sky: Over North America 2008 Tour Sampler, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Year_Zero_(album)&oldid=998320458, Political music albums by American artists, Short description is different from Wikidata, Album articles lacking alt text for covers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Jeff/Geoff Gallegos – brass / winds musical arrangement, baritone sax, This page was last edited on 4 January 2021, at 21:18. And I really thought about what was at the forefront of my concern, and, at the state I'm at right now, at the age I'm at, just the state of being an American citizen, a lot of concern I have about the direction the country's headed in, and uh, kind of the erosion of freedoms that seems like we're experiencing, and the way we treat the world and our own citizens felt like something I needed to comment on."

Clarins Instant Smooth Self Tanning, 6x6 Pent Shed, Henry's Dream Rym, Grand Hyatt Breakfast Buffet Kauai, The Cafe Hyatt Price, Jica Scholarships 2020, Petta Ilamai Thirumbuthe, Phyno - Oso Ga Eme, We Had Met Before, Chadwick International School Incheon Fee Structure,